The default configuration in GrowthBook is optimized for trying things out quickly on a local dev machine. Beyond that, you can customize behavior with Environment Variables.
Domains and Ports
This is used to generate links to GrowthBook and enable CORS access to the API.
- APP_ORIGIN - default http://localhost:3000
- API_HOST - default http://localhost:3100
If you want to run GrowthBook on a different host than localhost, you need to add the above environment
variables to your
growthbook: ... environment: - APP_ORIGIN=http://<my ip>:3000 - API_HOST=http://<my ip>:3100
If you need to change the ports on your local dev environment (e.g. if
3000 is already being used),
you need to update the above variables AND change the port mapping in
growthbook: ports: - "4000:3000" # example: use 4000 instead of 3000 for the app - "4100:3100" # example: use 4100 instead of 3100 for the api ... environment: - APP_ORIGIN=http://<my ip or url>:4000 - API_HOST=http://<my ip or url>:4100
- NODE_ENV - Set to "production" to turn on additional optimizations and API request logging
- MONGODB_URI - The MongoDB connection string
- JWT_SECRET - Auth signing key (use a long random string)
- ENCRYPTION_KEY - Data source credential encryption key (use a long random string)
NODE_ENVto to "production" and change the
JWT_SECRETto a random string. Using the
productionnode environment and the default
JWT_SECRETwill throw an error.
Email SMTP Settings
This is required in order to send experiment alerts, team member invites, and reset password emails.
- EMAIL_ENABLED ("true" or "false")
Google OAuth Settings
Only required if using Google Analytics as a data source
The UPLOAD_METHOD environment variable controls where to store uploaded files
and screenshots. The supported values are
This is the default value. Uploads are stored in the GrowthBook docker container at
/usr/local/src/app/packages/back-end/uploads. In production, you should mount a volume here to persist uploads across container restarts.
Store uploads in an AWS S3 bucket.
- S3_REGION (defaults to
- S3_DOMAIN (defaults to
- AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID (not required when deployed to AWS with an instance role)
- AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY (not required when deployed to AWS with an instance role)
Store uploads in a Google Cloud Storage bucket.
- GCS_DOMAIN (defaults to
- GOOGLE_APPLICATION_CREDENTIALS (not required when deployed to GCP with an instance service account)
Some features in self-hosted GrowthBook are only available with an Enterprise licence key. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- LICENCE_KEY - Your signed licence key provided by the GrowthBook team
- SSO_CONFIG - A JSON-encoded string that configures SSO (using OpenID Connect). It should be an object with the following keys:
emailDomain(string, optional) - Allow auto-joining from a specified email domain
id_token_signing_alg_values_supported(array of strings)
code_challenge_methods_supported(array of strings)
extraQueryParams(object, optional) - Dictionary of extra query params to be passed along with the
additionalScope(string, optional) - Additional scopes to include, along with the default value:
openid profile email
For SSO, make sure the following callback URL is whitelisted:
For the best SSO user experience, enable offline access and refresh tokens in your Identity Provder.
- EXPERIMENT_REFRESH_FREQUENCY - Default update schedule for experiment results. Update when stale for X hours (default
- QUERY_CACHE_TTL_MINS - How long (in minutes) to cache and re-use SQL query results (default
- DEFAULT_CONVERSION_WINDOW_HOURS - How many hours after being put into an experiment does a user have to convert. Can be overridden on a per-metric basis. (default
- DISABLE_TELEMETRY - We collect anonymous telemetry data to help us improve GrowthBook. Set to "true" to disable.